- Non-Stealing (acauryyam): If we take possession of something for our own use without first seeking permission from the original owner then that is called stealing. The owner of the entire universe is the Supreme personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna. All those things that we accept to use for our survival come from the universe. Therefore, if we do not offer everything first to Sri Krishna, then that is considered to be stealing..
- Sense Control and Self Control (saṁyama): The only controller of the senses is Krishna. In order to control their senses people try many techniques. But we must realize that without the mercy of the Supreme Lord we are unable to control our senses at all.
- Non-Violence(ahiṁsā): We understand that non-violence means to not kill any animal, and that we must not ingest meat, fish, or eggs, but criticizing others by our words creates violence also. Therefore, we must not criticize but instead should try to praise the good qualities in people. In order to keep peace in society we should learn to become silent when we see the bad qualities of others. If we choose, then we can speak confidently with a person who has made a mistake, and with due respect express our opinion in order to help rectify the situation. It is our duty to keep a peaceful atmosphere and happy dispositions by not creating fear in others.
- Cleanliness (śuci): We must keep everything in our lives clean. We can see that people keep their clothing clean, but due to a misunderstanding of the real meaning of cleanliness they are ignoring the importance of keeping their heart and mind clean by not engaging in cheating activities, killing, quarrelling and cultivating a selfish mentality. How we can keep our heart and mind clean? Is there any chemical to clean our heart and mind? The Supreme personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, gave us the solution when He begged us to chant His name, the Hare Krishna Mahamantra. The sincere repetition of this mantra will gradually clean our heart and mind and will allow us to become a clean person in every respect.
- Truth (satyam): We have the impression that we are speaking the truth when we speak our understanding as it exists in the present moment. The problem is that on this mortal earth everything is changing day by day. Not only is our body changing, but so too is the nature of all mundane things. Therefore, whatever we presently understand may seem like the truth, but in the future it will become untruth. Therefore, the eternal meaning of truth can only be understood when we accept the embodiment of truth, the Supreme Lord, Sri Krishna, Mahaprabhu. The Supreme Lord is eternally and always the same; He never changes His nature. He is very affectionate to all of us. Therefore, we must accept Him. In the present age of Kali-Yuga, the process to accept Him is to chant His name, the Hare Krishna Mahamantra. Then the Supreme Lord will automatically enter our lives as per the code of the Chaitanya Charitamrita, “kali-kāle nāma-rūpe kṛṣṇa avatāra / nāma haite hay sarva jagat-nistāra”.