Jagganatha Puri Temple
The beautiful Gopinath Gaudiya Math was established in Jagganatha Puri in 1992 by our beloved Param Gurudev, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj, at the humble request of his disciples.
The mission of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math is to help people to understand the value and purpose of this human birth, to inspire them to reach the ultimate goal of life through sincere spiritual practices including chanting the Hare Krsna Maha Mantra and serving the Lord’s devotees under the guidance of a qualified spiritual master.
We welcome you to come and participate in any of the programs we offer. Your offering of support and participation in any way is much appreciated. If travel to India is not possible for you, seva is still possible by the shared practice on the path of devotion by chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
Location, Description & History
The Temple is on half an acre of land, with a beautiful view of the Indian Ocean. The Guest House is on another half acre of land. Presently the Deities stay in a room at the Guest House. One and a half years ago we started the construction of a new temple building on land with an ocean view. This land was purchased by His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj in his life time. We are building the new temple with bricks, sand, teak wood and cement and marble stone. We expect the cost of construction will be approximately half a million USD. There is garden space on site, in which grows various kinds of flowers and Tulsi plants. There will be a library, bookstall and a museum describing the history of Jagganatha Puri Dham in the new temple. We plan to move the Deities from the Guest House to the new temple in September, 2009 and all are welcome to join us for that celebration.
The temple is located in Puri town (near Bhuvaneswar, Orissa), near Sonar Gauranga temple at Cakra Tirta Road. It is also the worship place where the original wood for Baladev, Subhadra and Jagganatha appeared, according to the dream of Indradyumna Maharaj. Indradyumna Maharaj took these three pieces of wood back to his palace for the Deities to be carved. Therefore this place became famous for all pilgrims in Puri.
Presently there are two altars. On the left side are Sri Baladeva, Jagganath, Subhadra, and Sudarshan Chakra. On the right side is Sri Sri Guru Gauranga Radha Madan Mohan. As soon as the new temple is complete there will be a third altar with Lord Nrsimha Deva.
Temple Service & Programs
There is capacity to sleep 80 people in the ashram facilities. Pilgrims can choose from various service possibilities, including:
- Devotional book printing and distribution
- Cooking Prasad (sanctified food)
- Cleaning the temple campus and guesthouse
- Cultivating the Tulsi and flower gardens
- Temple administration assistance
- Guests services
- Deity worship service includes
- Cooking for altar offerings
- Flower and Tulsi garland making
- Cleaning the temple
- Cleaning altar & Deity utensils
- Sewing Deity clothes and making or sponsoring jewels
Temple programs include Bhakti Vinodalaya (House of Bhakti Vinod Thakur) programs as well as programs aimed to inspire the chanting of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and the sincere practice of Vaisnava principles.
We welcome anyone around the world to participate in the Bhakti Vinodalaya program by arranging programs in their own home. This is a wonderful way to serve the Sri Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Saraswata Sampradaya (lineage).
His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj is the Founding President and Acarya of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math. Since 1997, according to the will of the founder president, the present president and Acarya is His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj. The current managing president is His Holiness Bhakti Kinkar Avadhut Maharaj. The present GBC members are as follows:
- President: His Holiness Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj
- Vice President: His Holiness Bhakti Saran Vaman Maharaj.
- Secretary: His Holiness Bhakti Nandan Swami Maharaj
- Treasurer: Sripad Gopinath Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 2: His Holiness Bhakti Sarvasva Sadhu Maharaj
- Executive Member 3: Pradyumna Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 4: Sankarshan Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 5: Sripad Ramdas Dasadhikari
Daily & Annual Events
There are many daily and yearly events hosted at the Jagganatha Puri Temple.
Daily Schedule (exact times vary according to Sunrise):
- Mangal Arati (one hour before sunrise)
- Circumambulation of the temple and worship of Tulsi Devi with Kirtan
- Prayers to our lineage of Acaryas
- Reading of Brahma Samhita slokas and Kirtan
- Discourse on Caitanya Caritamrita
- Deity bathing ceremony along with the reading of Mula sloka from the Srimad Bhagavatam.
- Annual festival for Deity installation anniversary (i.e. the day after Nrsimha Catrudasi)
- Ratha Yatra (5 days festival)
- Janmastami (Appearance of Lord Sri Krsna)
- Radhastami (Appearance of Srimati Radharani, consort of Sri Krsna)
- Appearance day festival of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math i.e. His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promoda Puri Goswami Maharaj
- Kartik Vrata (1 month offering of ghee lamps to Lord Damodar, with 5 discourses each day and kirttan)
- Disappearance day (day before Rasa Purnima) of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math i.e. His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promoda Puri Goswami Maharaj
Donations & Fundraising
All Gopinath Gaudiya Math Temples are maintained by the grace of the Lord and through spontaneous donations. In the near future, we will create a fundraising plan for the continued maintenance of the temple, Deities, programs and events. We gratefully appreciate any contributions to the Temple.
Please contact us with any inquiries you may have.