Sri Mayapur Temple
The beautiful Gopinath Gaudiya Math was established in Mayapur in 1987 by our beloved Param Gurudev, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj at the humble request of his disciples. The name Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math was given by His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj when he sent a letter to Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj, addressing him as “the Acharya of Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math”.
The mission of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math and the 40 permanent residents who serve the Deities is to help people to understand the value and purpose of this human birth, to inspire them to reach the ultimate goal of life through sincere spiritual practices including chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and serving the Lord’s devotees under the guidance of a qualified spiritual master.
We welcome you to come and participate in any of the programs we offer. Your offering of support and participation in any way is much appreciated. If travel to India is not possible for you, seva is still possible by the shared practice on the path of devotion by chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
Location & Description
The Temple is on almost three acres of land. Construction started in 1989 and is still not completed, according to the master plan. The cost of building has been estimated at approximately 1 million USD. Mayapur Gopinath Gauidya Math is the site of the glorious Samadhi Temple of His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj, who departed this world for the eternal abode in the predawn hours of Narayana Chaturdasi, October 21, 1999, one day before Rasa Purnima. There is garden space on site, in which grows various kinds of flowers and Tulsi plants. There is a book stall and a library for devotees to browse and purchase books on transcendental topics. The Temple is located in the Navadwip region of West Bengal, 100km from Kolkata). Mayapur is one of nine islands and is surrounded by holy rivers, including Ganga Mata.
The climate is generally humid. During the monsoon season there are often floods. There are many auspicious Temples in the surrounding area, including Yoga Pitha, the birthplace of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
Temple History & Dieties
There are three altars of Deities at the Mayapur Gopinath Gaudiya Math. On the left altar is Sri Sri Gaura Gadadhara and Sri Jaganath Deva. On the middle altar is Sri Sri Radha Gopinath and on the right altar is Sri Sri Luxmi Nrsimha Deva.
Temple Service & Programs
There is capacity to sleep 400 people in the ashram facilities. Pilgrims can choose from various service possibilities, including:
- Devotional book printing and distribution
- Cooking Prasad (sanctified food)
- Cleaning the temple campus and guesthouse
- Cultivating the Tulsi and flower gardens
- Caring for the 10 temple cows in the Gosala (cow house)
- Temple administration assistance
- Guests services
- Deity worship service includes
- Cooking for altar offerings
- Flower and Tulsi garland making
- Cleaning the temple
- Cleaning altar & Diety utensils
- Sewing Deity clothes and making or sponsoring jewels
Temple programs include Bhakti Vinodalaya (House of Bhakti Vinod Thakur) programs as well as programs aimed to inspire the chanting of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and the sincere practice of Vaisnava principles.
We welcome anyone around the world to participate in the Bhakti Vinodalaya program by arranging programs in their own home. This is a wonderful way to serve the Sri Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Saraswata Sampradaya (lineage).
His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramode Puri Goswami Maharaj is the Founding President and Acarya of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math. Since 1997, according to the will of the founder president, the present president and Acarya is His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj. The current managing president is Pradyumna das Brahmachari. The present GBC members are as follows:
- President: His Holiness Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj
- Vice President: His Holiness Bhakti Saran Vaman Maharaj.
- Secretary: His Holiness Bhakti Nandan Swami Maharaj
- Treasurer: Sripad Gopinath Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 2: His Holiness Bhakti Sarvasva Sadhu Maharaj
- Executive Member 3: Pradyunma Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 4: Sankarshan Das Bramachari
- Executive Member 5: Sripad Ramdas Dasadhikari
Daily & Annual Events
There are many daily and yearly events hosted at the Mayapur Temple.
Daily Schedule (exact times vary according to Sunrise):
- Mangal Arati (one hour before sunrise)
- Circumambulation of the temple and worship of Tulsi Devi with Kirtan
- Prayers to our lineage of Acaryas
- Reading of Brahma Samhita slokas and Kirtan
- Discourse on Caitanya Caritamrita
- Deity bathing ceremony along with the reading of Mula sloka from the Srimad Bhagavatam.
- Gaura Purnima (beginning 10 days prior to the festival we hold Navadwip Parikrama with 2000 devotees)
- Deity installation anniversary (the day before Nrsimha Caturdasi)
- Janmastami (Appearance of Lord Sri Krsna)
- Radhastami (Appearance of Srimati Radharani, consort of Sri Krsna)
- Appearance day festival of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramod Puri Goswami Maharaj
- Kartik Vrata (1 month offering of ghee lamps to Lord Damodar, with 5 discourses each day and kirttan)
- Disappearance day (day before Rasa Purnima) of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math i.e. His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramod Puri Goswami Maharaj
Donations & Fundraising
All Gopinath Gaudiya Math Temples are maintained by the grace of the Lord and through spontaneous donations. In the near future, we will create a fundraising plan for the continued maintenance of the temple, Deities, programs and events. We gratefully appreciate any contributions to the Temple.
Please contact us with any inquiries you may have.