Sri Vrindavana Temple
The beautiful Gopinath Gaudiya Math was established in Vrndavana in 1995 by our beloved Param Gurudev, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Goswami Maharaj at the humble request of his disciples.
The mission of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math is to help people to understand the value and purpose of this human birth, to inspire them to reach the ultimate goal of life through sincere spiritual practices including chanting the Hare Krsna Maha Mantra and serving the Lord’s devotees under the guidance of a qualified spiritual master.
We welcome you to come and participate in any of the programs we offer. Your offering of support and participation in any way is very appreciated. If travel to India is not possible for you, seva is still possible by the shared practice on the path of devotion by chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
Location & Description
The temple is located in Vrindavan town, 140 km from the city of New Delhi. The name of the temple is Purana Dauji Mandir, which means Old Dauji temple. The temple is a historic building erected by a Royal family of West Bengal 180 years ago. The building was constructed with ornately carved red stone. There is a beautiful courtyard garden in the middle of the temple area. Beautiful Tulsi plants and jasmine trees grow there along with other flowers that are offered to the Dieties. Books on transcendental topics can be purchased or borrowed from the Book Stall & Library.
The local climate is dry. It is mild warm weather during the spring and autumn with extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter. During winter months (December and January) it is very damp, foggy and cold. Wildlife, such as hogs, peacocks, monkeys and cows share the town with the human population.
Temple History & Dieties
The Deities in this temple also have a long and very special history. On the left altar is Sri Sri Gaura Nityananda Prabhu. These deities were installed by Virabhadra Prabhu (the son of Nityananda Prabhu). In the middle is Sri Dauji who is 180 years old, as old as the temple. On the right side is Sri Sri Radha Govinda. They originally belonged to Tappan Mishra, the father of Raghunath Bhatta Goswami (one of the six Goswamis). Mahaprabhu and also Sanatan Goswami visited Sri Sri Radha Govinda in Tappan Mishra’s house in Kashi (Varanasi). Originally, these Dieties were there, but in 2001, by the mercy of His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramode Puri Goswami Maharaj, Tapan Mishra’s family members where inspired to transfer the service of these Dieties to Gopinath Gaudiya Math. There are 15 permanent residents of the ashram who serve the Deities.
Temple Service & Programs
There is capacity to sleep 80 people in the ashram facilities. Pilgrims can choose from various service possibilities, including:
- Devotional book printing and distribution
- Cooking Prasad (sanctified food)
- Cleaning the temple campus and guesthouse
- Cultivating the Tulsi and flower gardens
- Caring for the 6 temple cows in the Gosala (cow house),
- Temple administration assistance
- Guests services
- Deity worship service includes
- Cooking for altar offerings
- Flower and Tulsi garland making
- Cleaning the temple
- Cleaning altar & Diety utensils
- Sewing Deity clothes and making or sponsoring jewels
Temple programs include Bhakti Vinodalaya (House of Bhakti Vinod Thakur) programs as well as programs aimed to inspire the chanting of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and the sincere practice of Vaisnava principles.
We welcome anyone around the world to participate in the Bhakti Vinodalaya program by arranging programs in their own home. This is a wonderful way to serve the Sri Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Saraswata Sampradaya (lineage).
His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramode Puri Goswami Maharaj is the Founding President and Acarya of the Gopinath Gaudiya Math. Since 1997, according to the will of the founder president, the current president and Acarya is His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj. The current managing president is His Holiness Bhakti Kinkar Avadhut Maharaj. The present GBC members are as follows:
- President: His Holiness Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaj
- Vice President: His Holiness Bhakti Saran Vaman Maharaj.
- Secretary: His Holiness Bhakti Nandan Swami Maharaj
- Treasurer: Sripad Gopinath Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 2: His Holiness Bhakti Sarvasva Sadhu Maharaj
- Executive Member 3: Pradyunma Das Brahmachari
- Executive Member 4: Sankarshan Das Bramachari
- Executive Member 5: Sripad Ramdas Dasadhikari
Daily & Annual Events
There are many daily and yearly events hosted at the Vrindavan Temple.
Daily Schedule (exact times varies according to Sunrise):
- Mangal Arati (one hour before sunrise)
- Circumambulation of the temple and worship of Tulsi Devi with Kirtan
- Prayers to our lineage of Acaryas
- Reading of Brahma Samhita slokas and Kirtan
- Discourse on Caitanya Caritamrita
- Deity bathing ceremony along with the reading of Mula sloka from the Srimad Bhagavatam.
- Anniversary Festival of Deity Installation (the Appearance Day of Sri Balaram, brother of Sri Krishna)
- Janmastami (Appearance of Lord Sri Krsna)
- Radhastami (Appearance of Srimati Radharani, consort of Sri Krsna)
- Appearance Day of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramod Puri Goswami Maharaj
- Kartik Vrata (1 month of offering ghee lamps to Lord Damodar with 5 discourses each day and Kirtan)
- Disappearance day (day before Rasa Purnima) of the Founder President of the Sri Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Pramod Puri Goswami Maharaj
Donations & Fundraising
All Gopinath Gaudiya Math Temples are maintained by the grace of the Lord and through spontaneous donations. In the near future, we will create a fundraising plan for the continued maintenance of the temple, Dieties, programs and events. We gratefully appreciate any contributions to the Temple.
Please contact us with any inquiries you may have.